16 November 2017

Confessions of A Nursing Student: College Strike

How do I even begin this post?

I'm honestly so frustrated and angry that I'm no longer frustrated and angry. At this point, I'm just annoyed?

The Ontario colleges faculty are currently in week 5 of their strike. Let me repeat that one more time... week #5. Yes, the teachers have their valid reasons for striking, and I am 100% on side for anyone having their right to strike. However, I am not okay with both parties to use us, the students, as pawns in their games of negotiation.

The teachers say this is for the "benefit" of the students. How so? After sitting on my a** for the past 5 weeks, I am not benefiting at all.  In fact, I have been waiting patiently to even hear an UPDATE as to what is going on. Even so, as middle parities in this negotiation game with no control, we aren't even given the respect with any sort of updates from our schools. 

We are completely in the dark. And, we cannot do anything.

Let me give you a rundown of the last 5 weeks:
  • The first week of the strike, I caught up with a lot of my readings
  • The second week of the strike, I lost motivation to do any work 
  • I spent a lot of time with my puppy
  • I've searched for any updates on the strike
  • I've worked but, also given up ample amount of shifts with the fear that I should be doing studying instead of making money (for school btw) only because classes could resume at anytime 
That's all I've done. Literally. 

And, very recently, the school sent us an email saying they might extend the semester into our Christmas holidays.... like, excuse me? First I am being held from my education, and now they want to take away our holiday vacation for a strike that I did not ask for? How is this honestly fair? What about the students to pre-booked holiday flights? What about the international students who want to go home for the holidays? 

What makes me mad the most is the amount of money my parents worked soo hard to save to send me to school to help me become a nurse. And, I've been sitting at home for the last 5 weeks. Money well spent... nope. Money was well stolen in my opinion. 

It's absolutely not fair. 

Another option the school has was that if the strike persisted over x amount of weeks, we would just resume the semester to JANUARY 2nd. The day after New Years... seriously?  So technically, this other option pushes all our semesters back. Possibly graduation is pushed back then? 

URG. 

I'm sorry guys. I'm so frustrated, I honestly wish I knew how to organize my emotions into words so this post can actually make sense. I know I'm all over the place. But, that is exactly how I feel. I am confused about the entire situation. I just want a simple answer as to whether or not what is happening to MY education that I am paying for? 

Is that really hard to ask? 

Oh, and an apology would be nice as well... you know, for putting us through this bullsh*t.

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment