07 May 2015

I Saved Penelope's Life



Remember a few weeks ago I wrote about Penelope being sick? It's okay if you don't remember, you can read all about it HERE to read all about it. Any who, the other day, I took Penelope back to the vet for a check up to see whether or not she has been improving or not.

Lately, Penelope has been doing really well. She's been eating her lettuce, and on a few occasions, I found her eating some hay (although she used to never touch it). I'm not sure if it is the heat that is evaporating the water, or if it is Penelope drinking water, all I know she is actually being hydrated because I'm starting to see her pee on my bed (which, let me tell you, is not fun changing me sheets every few hours). She hasn't been eating carrots, which she used to love, but I guess lettuce is better than nothing, right?

Oddly, she's been having a weird craving for bread. And, I say this in confidence because whenever I eat a sandwich, or have a cracker out, she would pull out her cuteness in an attempt to get a bite. By this, I mean, she would go on her hind-legs with her adorable eyes, and use her forearms and hands to rest on ur legs while looking at you. I of course say no, for her health of course; but my dad falls for her cuteness every time...

Anyways, when the vet saw us, he was actually impressed with me. He told me he actually expected Penelope to leave us the day after we first saw him. I guess I should have known when he called the next day asking how she was doing. He really complimented me on giving Penelope her daily dosage of freshly squeezed pineapple juice, and papaya tablets. When he used a stethoscope to listen to her tummy, he said he can really hear an improvement.
Lesson of the day: papaya tablets are a must in Penelope's diet.

I think me making an effort to give her what she needs, and what is she suppose to have, without feeling too sad about making her feel betrayed, really saved her life. I am happy I took her to the vet that day, and not a day later like I originally planned. I am also happy I didn't give up when she resisted the pineapple juice and papaya tablets. 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment