01 January 2017

2017 Word of the Year

HAPPY 2017! 

For the past few years, I've chosen a word for the year instead of creating a list of "resolutions" to follow. For me, I find that choosing a word for the year to focus on really helps me to create goals that are better directed towards myself. 
 
In 2014, I chose the word trust; in 2015, my word was happy; and last year for 2016, I chose peace.
For me, selecting a word to focus on throughout the year, really gives me the chance to reflect and see how much I'm growing throughout the year - especially when keep a journal devoted to that word alone. Like I said, it gives me the chance to really see change and growth in myself.

This year, I chose the word PATIENCE.


This year, I want to learn to focus on being patient not only with others, but also with myself. I find that I can easily get frazzled or frustrated in different situations, and this year I want to change that. I wasn't always like this. In fact, I was good at being patient with others, especially. Then, one day I just got tired of everyone and found myself easily annoyed. #sorrynotsorry Okay, maybe I'm a bit sorry... hence the reason why I'm choosing patience as my word for 2017...

This year, when it comes to others, I'm hoping to be more patient. And, I feel in order to really accomplish this is to begin by really listening and contributing to others. Whenever they have a problem or just want to simply talk, I want to try to be more present in the conversation and let them finish speaking before chiming in my two-cents. I want others to know that they have my full attention. 

I also want to learn to be patient with myself. I also tend to get frustrated with myself when it comes to not accomplishing tasks on time, or if I don't get something done the way I originally wanted. I think one way to accomplish this is by relaxing. Mainly, I think relaxing and thinking before I speak negatively is the best way to develop patience with myself. 

And, it to make it more apparent to myself, I think it would be best to start a separate journal about my frustrations. I would write situations that make me upset or frustration, and reflect on ways to improve my behaviours when it comes to being patient with others and myself. 

Choosing a single word to focus on the entire year may seem like a relatively easier task, but I think it provides a challenge - a challenge that can really improve the self. So, I'm hoping for a good change this year, and I intend to do so fully. 

Wishing you guys a great year for 2017! Happy New Year!


post signature
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment