15 August 2014

God and Love: Part 1


Reading for today's post: 1 John 4:1-21

Today is the 1st day of the 16 day plan in my journey of reading, reflection and responding to what the bible says about love. If you'd like to follow alone, join HERE and perhaps start your own journey! Ready to go on this journey with me? Well then, let's get started! 
So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. - 1 John 4:16 ESV
Negativity comes in the form of many things, actions, thoughts, and people. It can be expressed to us deliberately or even unnoticeably. What sucks the most about negativity is that is can literally eat our minds away slowly, but very efficiently... I guess to the point where people can no longer handle it all. There was this one year of my life where negativity upon negativity occurred to me daily. I was lost for words and I beginning to no longer have strength. This is a difficult thing to even think back to, but it even got to the point where I told my sister and cousin that I would hurt myself (that's just the PG version of what I really said).

I didn't think I had anyone to help me get through anything, not even my parents because at that point in time, I was just terrified of them. Not only them, I was just so terrified of everything and just waking up the next day to see what will happen next. 

Then, I turned towards God. I was always someone who believed in God, and did what I was suppose to do when I was suppose to do it. (Keep in mind, I was in grade 10 at the time). But during this point and time, I really turned my energy and focus towards God. 

I don't know what I was doing, but I knew that I really needed someone to be there for me because I just felt no longer in control of my life. Then one day, as I prayed before I went to bed, I realized that God would never put me through things that he knows I wouldn't be able to handle. That there was something bigger to come for me. I could easily say that I could meet better people in my life who would influence me for the better, or that Jay was the next best thing who turned my life around. 

But, I realized that when I truly began to put my trust into God, I really felt his love. When I put my faith back into His hands, He took it with love and helped me through one of the toughest times of my life. And for that, I am truly thankful.

This is what John really wanted us to understand in this passage - the abundance of love that God has for each and every one of us. John repeats "God is love" from verse 8 onwards, emphasizes the love He has for each and everyone of us and how real it is. Some it may not be as obvious to others, but His love is real and always with us. The verse ends with the emphases of not only loving Him, but our brothers and sisters. To me this makes sense, He is in each and everyone of us, and the way we treat others is a reflection of how we are treating God.

God is love. Love is positive. Let us surround ourselves with positivity, and that begins with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment