10 July 2015

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Can't you tell I'm doing a John Green book marathon? I actually read this book right after I finished reading Paper Towns and blogged about it (my Paper Town summary HERE). So, it has been a month since I finished reading it, but I thought it would be better to space out my book reviews, since I usually don't have this much time to read books while in school. To me, this makes sense... Anyways, to the book review.. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary
According to Goodreads:
Despite the timor-shrinking medical miracle that has brought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's is about to be completely rewritten.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Thoughts

Let me be completely honest here; never have I ever laugh or cried this much from reading a book. The Fault in Our Stars was just perfect - presenting a romantic love story between Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace, in the most realistic way possible. John Green did an amazing job with this one. 

Hazel
I loved her. I loved everything about her. She is completely the most down to earth character I've read, and I wish I had a friend with her sense of humour and her no bullshit attitude. I loved sitting down and reading what she was thinking about. She wasn't a boring character, nor an annoying character. I loved her! 

Augustus 
He was just... the perfect guy in the most unexpected way. His sense of humour is definitely one I've never come across in real life; and every move he makes, is just meaningful, if not for himself, then for others. I wouldn't mind having a friend like him - he was so great with Isaac. (Side note: I loved their friendship!) 

Augustus and Hazel... wow. What a love story they have. From the beginning, I was emotionally invested in their story. I was basically like their third-wheel best friend who is always there at their dates, not ruining their date or anything, but just admiring their cuteness.  However, their love story honestly is so much more than a love story, their story demonstrates that people who are sick, can/will also have the privilege of experiencing falling in love. And these two, remain in love until the very end.

I really enjoyed this book. I fell in love with Augustus and Hazel, I fell in love with both sets of parents (who were all just hilarious), and of course I fell in love with Isaac. Every character, was just so perfect. So over, I fell in love with this book.

It is a beautiful story that really did touch my heart, and honestly, I am thankful to John Green for having this much of an impact. The Fault in Our Stars definitely send out an nonprejudicial message of love.  

Favourite Quotes:
  • "Maybe our okay will be our always
  • “Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” 
  • "As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
  • I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

    "Augustus," I said.

    "I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 
  • “There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.” 
  • "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."
  • "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 
My Rating:  5/5 
I fell in love with this book.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this book. One of my favourites, ever! Such a good post Nessaa, I've really enjoyed scrolling through your blog.
    Kaci xo
    kaci-jade.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this book has definitely become one of my favourites as well! Thanks for scrolling through the blog :)

    ReplyDelete