13 May 2016

Book Review: P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern



My Rating: 
Genre: chick-lit, romance, fiction, adult, contemporary



Summary
According to Goodreads:
A novel about holding on, letting go, and learning to love again. 
Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.  
According to the back of the novel:
Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry.
They were childhood sweethearts - no one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other.
Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms Holly discovers that Gerry has left her a bundle of notes, gently guiding her uno her new life without him, each signed 'PS, I love You'.
With some help from her friends, and her noisy and loving family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying, singing, dancing - and being braver than ever before.
Life is for living, she realizes - but it always helps if there's an angel watching over you.  


My Thoughts



My goodness. What a story.

I cried. I laughed. And, I cried some more.

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous that having watched the movie 100000000 times beforehand would impact my judgement on the novel. But, that was not the case. Like many other movies based on books, they were completely different!

By that, I mean that the book was better than the movie. 

Yes, I said it. Plus, Tthere were many changes that I really wished the movie hadn't done.

For one, I really enjoyed the books exploration of each of Holly's relationship, including Daniel, her mother, her friends, and siblings.  I really did wish the movie showed more of Holly and her family, especially her brothers.  Those were probably one of my favourite parts of the book; those were the parts that made me laugh the most.

Everyone really should read the book. In fact, there were many parts of the book that explained parts of the movie. But, that is usually the case for many movies based on books.

Overall, the story was beautifully written. It honestly touched my heart, and taught me to not only open myself up to those who love me, but to also surround myself with them. Yes, everyone has their own sh*t going on in their lives, but dealing with life with someone else make it that more easier. Especially if there is laugh or two along the way. 


Favourite Quotes (in no particular order):
  • "Finding someone you love and who loves you back is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. But finding a true soul mate is an even better feeling. A soul mate is someone who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we're gone.” 
  • “Shoot for the moon, even if you fail, you'll land among the stars” 
  • “...God leads you to it and takes you through it.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment