13 February 2014

A Thousand Words

Today I am linking up for the first time with Hayley and Lauren for their weekly Getting to know The Girl Between the Lines blogging link-up. 
This week's topic is: 
"Share a photo that you love and the story behind it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The number one reason I take photos literally almost everywhere I go, is to capture the memories and moments made during that day/night/event.  It's always hard to keep distinctive memories of literally everything in our minds, so why not take a picture to trigger our most favourite memories? So I love today's topic; and because this topic had that throwback feeling to it, I decided to post this on a Thursday, to go with the theme everyone does on instagram - Throwback Thursday. 
If you haven't read some of my previous posts, then I would like to (re)introduce you to my sister - Ashley.  We literally are so close, although she doesn't like to admit it, and we are only 1 year and 4 months apart. People sometimes often think that she is the elder of us to, which I don't mind, I'll take being the younger one any day!

This photo is actually one of my favourite pictures of us two because we grew up literally doing everything together.  We joined all the same extra circular activities, the same teams at school, we went to the same schools; like basically we dominated everything together. We were like the ultimate sisters. 

If you're wondering about the uniform, it is our Air Cadet uniform that we wear in the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Program. (And no, this isn't a program that sends kids to war). But the story behind this photo is different.

This photo was taken on November 15, 2013; so not too long ago.  It was actually the day of my retirement from the program since I would be turning 19 in just a few short days.  And because I would be retiring, that meant that my chief position would be up for grabs by one of the remaining other warrants.  

Not only was this the night that I would be ending my 7 year cadet journey in the cadet program, but it was also the night my sister was promoted to my rank and my position. I was so happy and so proud of her that I cried; yes I literally balled my eyes out in front of all the younger cadets and parents who came to watch that night.

Not only did we get to celebrate my achievements, but we celebrate my sisters new role and I was honestly so happy for her. In the program, we were always known for our hard work, and if I could do one thing, the officers expected my sister to do the same, and vise versa. So I guess u can say, my sister and I pushed each other to do a lot in the program because of what were both known as. 

So this photo celebrates both of our successes in the program. But there's another side to the story of this. 

Since I am in second year of univeristy, and she will be starting her first year of univeristy next year, this photo represents the last activity we will be doing along side together. It's both bitter and sweet.  We are both used to having each other's back when drama emerges, and we like the experience of us being apart of the same team, as we provide such great motivation for each other. So I like that part. 

But I guess it's a good thing as well.... We are both growing up and it's time for us to do things that will be meaningful for our future. So although her current plans aren't to attend the same university as me; I get it. It's time for her to grow up and not be in the shadows of her elder sister. 

So I love this photo. Just shows the love and joy we had throughout our years of growing up with each other in the many different programs/teams we've been graciously apart of.  And it is just a great reminder to us of all the things that we've got to experience together, which I think is the most important most. She has been apart of all of my achievements, just as I have been there for her's.

So although we probably won't be apart of the same teams anymore, I will continue to constantly be her number one supporter through all her future achievements.

Love you sis!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment