07 February 2014

My Random Act of Kindness

Today I am linking up for the first time with Hayley and Lauren for their weekly Getting to know The Girl Between the Lines blogging link-up. 
 
This week's topic is: 
"This is a free week to write about something that fits the theme of your blog!"
---------------------------------------------------
When I first saw this theme, I have to admit that I was thinking really hard about what to write about.  The original intentions behind my blog was just to express myself away from the drama real life provides me on a day-to-day basis.  So if you really think about it, me thinking about what I would blog about is just silly... my blog is just a personal blog, and so what better than to blog about something personal?

Growing up, I've had many elder family members die due to various diseases. Some passed away peacefully in their sleep, and others unfortunately died due to a disease/tumour/cancer of some sort.  So you can say that I have been to a lot of funerals in my childhood/teenage years. But, I think it is also because my mom has 8 other siblings, and my dad has 7 other siblings - so we are a pretty big family. 

So I guess that is why I have this ambition to become someone important in the medical field, just so that I have the opportunities to help those who need it. I wasn't able to help my relatives since I had no idea what was going on back then, and so why not help others. 

But because I am still a full time student working towards these goals, I try to find other ways to help out those who need it. So the other day, without even thinking about it twice, I went for a hair cut. And if you knew me, you would know that my hair is literally my prize possession. I am seriously when I say that it was just long and healthy, and just beautiful to look at (not to sound cocky or anything...)

But the other day, I went to the hair dresser to cut off some split ends.  But when I was in the hair dresser seat, I randomly decided to cut it all off ... and I did. 
Yes thats right, in that moment, I decided to chop off 15 inches of my hair.  Not only were the ladies in the salon shocked that I would cut off my hair, my mother and sister was as well.  Not going to lie, I was shocked at first at how I looked with my hair shorter, but in all honestly I felt no way about losing my long hair that I loved so much. My sister asked me why I randomly decided this, and in thinking of my friends and family members that I've lost, I said with pure happiness:
There are others who are unable to grow their hair long due to cancer, and I want to be able to give them a little something that reminds them that they are not alone. There are others out there, who like me, are thinking of them and providing them with a bit of encouragement to keep strong.
Well there you go... I hope this random act of kindness of mine inspires you all to just think of others once in a while. I'm not sure who will end up with my hair, but whoever she is, I hope she is happy. I hope she realizes that she isn't alone, and that there are many of us out here in the world who are willing to contribute to their recovery efforts as much as we can.

I know I am happy that I am able to make someone else happy and feel confident whenever they are feeling down.


Have a great weekend everyone! 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment