11 February 2014

Thoughts on Tuesday: Forgiving

image via

We've all been there. 

That feeling of pain from a friend, family, or stranger through their selfish and horrible actions. It hurts... and all you can do is just sit there with ugly thoughts about them running through your mind... all... day... long. It sucks... I get it. But what else is there to do besides just sit there feeling angry?

Speaking from experience, I usually end up exposing the ugly hidden far within me. It's rare for a lot of people to see me act this way, but if I feel really attacked and hurt... I sometimes just resort to getting even.  It's wrong, believe me I know.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify my actions here, but I sometimes feel it is necessary for the other person to understand the hurt and pain they have put me through.  But it's not always rude and horrible actions from me. There are times where I simply just phase the person out, as I choose not to have that kind of negativity in my life. So the way I respond to people hurting me, can go either way.

But recently, I've been feeling betrayed and often alone from a close person. It's hard. I don't want to lash out my anger at them, nor do I want to phase them out of my life - I love and care too much to lose such important people in my life. In the beginning of the year, I made a promise to myself that I would be more kinder with others... I was definitely in no mood to go back into a dark place. I want to move forward with positivity. So what did I do?

I prayed the rosary to seek a positive path from God.

As a Roman Catholic, praying in general is such an important way of communicating with Him.  He is always listening, no matter how long/how much I am talking/complaining/crying about.  Since today is Tuesday, I prayed the rosary following the Sorrowful Mysteries. I found it particularly interesting when I read the 5th Sorrowful Mystery - The Crucifixion of the Lord.
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his cloths by casting lots.       - Luke 23:34
Such a powerful message Jesus has verbally demonstrated to all of us. This verse is a reminder to us to ask God to extend his forgiveness to our enemies.  As Jesus has asked God to forgive those tormenting him, we need to follow in his example.  Instead of being angry and fight back, we need to pray for those who have abused us - mentally, physically or emotionally; Asking the Lord to cleanse their actions and thinking processing so that this will not occur again upon someone else.

By forgiving others, you are not only forgiving those who have done wrong to you, but you are also re-demonstrating the ultimate example Jesus has shown us.  By doing so, we are not only carrying on the word of God, but we are saying thank you for all the sacrifices that he has done for us.  Forgiving others is just one of the simple ways we are showing thanks to Him - by following his example.

What better way to show others your maturity and strength than by being the bigger person and forgiving what has been done to you.  Sometimes being the bigger person just allows you to move on to live your life with such positivity through your actions, thoughts, and words.
But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you       - Luke 6:27
Thanks for reading!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment