16 November 2013

The Thankful Project: Something I Own

Today's post is a combination of my retirement last night in the Air Cadet Program and the today's thankful project prompt.  Warning there are pictures and a lot of words written… but it means a lot you're taking the time to read it! Thank you
Day 16: A Prompt About "Something I Own"; hosted by Kenzie from chasing happy

I think today's prompt is perfect as it ties into the events of last night that  I wanted to blog about.  So without further ado … This is something I am thankful I own.

These are my Warrant Officer First Class Badges that I earned and received last year.  I am so thankful for this promotion because throughout not only the past year, but my 7 years in the cadet program, I have honestly learnt so much about myself as an independent woman.  I used to be so shy and timid, and now I am able to stand in front a crowd to talk, teach, or even cry (in the case of last night).

I am absolutely so thankful to have had the opportunity to be the WO1 of 700 David Hornell V.C Squadron and serve as a role model and inspiration for not only all the younger recruits and cadets; but the females in the cadet program.

After receiving my 3rd bar for my Air Cadet Service Medal, and my cadet retiree pin last night, it was such an honour for me to hand over my drill cane to my sister, who last night was just promoted as the next Warrant Officer First Class.  As weird as it is to have the sister take over from the sister in this position, I didn't mind because if the officers knew I could do a great job with the squadron, I am absolutely sure they are 100% confident in my sister as well.  


To my surprise, after "handing" over my Chief title to my sister (my successor), she and a group of friends surprised me with a song they made to one of my favourite song What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction.  Once I figure out how to add videos from the video camera, I will definitely post about it later on! But for now here are some pictures of the pictures they gave me as well as signatures about it and the group of friends who sang to me in the front of the squadron.

That was just amazing; and after crying from the surprise of roses and chocolates they gave me, I was saying my speech.  And before I knew it, I was an emotional wreck.  I tried very hard not to cry, but it was hard because this is something I have been apart of since I was 12 years old.  I spent 1/3 of my life here in this program giving my all… and you just wouldn't understand how thankful I am that I was forced 7 years ago by my parents to join.  It is just amazing how much I accomplished and how much I did for this family in just 7 years.

And after my speech, just like that, the new Squadron Warrant Officer took over and gave me my final march past… It is definitely different being on the other side of this march past.  But it was amazing and I am thankful for these cadets appreciating all the work I've done.
 After the march past, my CO gave me the honour and privilege to promote my sister to Warrant Officer First Class… something no one will ever whiteness - A sister promoting her own sister to follow into her footstep.

So end off this thankful post; my badges are so valuable to me as there can only be ONE WO1 in each squadron.  That is a something I am so thankful for, having the faith and the encouragement from the staff of Officers and the cadets themselves.  Those badges that I received symbolized the amount of work and heart I put into this squadron in just 7 years.

I guess the only reason why I cried so much last night was because saying good-bye and letting go is the hardest part of this whole thing.  So I wish them the best of luck, and I really hope they don't stress my sister out too much… the officers kept emphasizing to her how she has huge shoes to fill.

Although many Officers congratulated me on having the best annual they've ever seen since the 60s, I know my sister will do a much better job than me and I will always be here to support her and help her when she needs to… but thats because we will in the same house so I won't be able to ignore her. JOKING!
 Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment