17 April 2014

Betrayal

image via
Thousands of years ago, this was the week Jesus endured betrayal, trial, crucifixion, burial and resurrection.  We call this week, Holy Week - a week where our hearts enter the written Gospels to live and breathe real events that took place here on Earth; the events Jesus endured in order for us to live a sinless life filled with love.  It is through the story of Jesus where we can learn and change while humbling ourselves in worship for our Saviour. 

Since today is Holy Thursday, I think it is appropriate to talk about one of the few powerful moments of Jesus' life that really made me look at things in a totally different manner. 
On the night they gave thanks and broke the bread at the last supper, Jesus had already known that sometime before, Judas had already made a deal to turn Jesus over. Jesus still broke bread with him at dinner, prayed with him, and even talked to the Father about what Judas later actions. And when the soldiers came into Gethsemane, Judas identified Jesus with a kiss and in exchanged received the amounts of silver that he was promised. And Jesus did not speak in anger or unkind words towards Judas. Instead, Jesus went with love and obedience.

Although he had already known that Judas would betray Him, Jesus still called Judas "friend".  His reps ones to Judas was not a sign of weakness, it was a sign of love.  Love for Judas, love for His Holy Father, and a love for us, His children in our most shameful moments. 

As Holy Week is a time of reflection, it is time for me to be honest here. There are days where I identify with Judas and being in the role of the betrayer. It makes me very ashamed to say that there were days that I put other things before Christ, or even pushed him to the side to further myself.  I cringe to acknowledge my greed and my selfishness that I portrayed during times where I should have listened to Christ. I think we've all been a betrayer to Christ, whether we admit it or not. 

But, there are those days where I identify with Jesus, in the role of the one being betrayed. I must say, it is extremely hard to still love someone with all your heart when I'm filled with anger and sadness. So yes, there were days where I didn't respond in love... but I need to acknowledge that there were days where I did, which is definitely not easy.  But that night Jesus was identified to the soldiers for arrest, He taught us all what love and obedience to the Father looks like. 

Through His love, he was led to trial and later sentenced to death for us.  He died for us on the cross to take away all our sins, and betrayals. He calls us "friend".

No comments:

Post a Comment