08 June 2015

Book Review: Paper Towns by John Green


I always wanted to read a John Green book for a while, but I never got around to it. I actually own four of his books - Finding Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, and The Fault in Our Stars. I even intended on reading The Fault in Our Stars before the movie came out. That didn't happen... opps. But, just a few days ago, being bored with netflix, I decided to put it to instagram to figure which John Green book I should start with. And, as the picture above gives away, I read Paper Towns. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary
Back of the novel:
Who is the real Margo? 
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open window and climbs into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mastery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew. . . .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Thoughts
Paper Towns, being my first John Green books, I really was expecting a beautiful story. Especially after watching The Fault in Our Stars, and reading a lot of both good and bad reviews about this book, I was really hoping for the best. And, with positive thinking comes a positive outcome.

I loved this book. It was an easy read, and I actually ended up finishing the novel in less than 3 days.  There was something really genuine about Quenin which I really enjoyed reading. It may have something to do with the fact that he is a boy with a long-term (somewhat) hidden feeling for Margo Roth Spiegelman. And the entire book focuses on him finding her. This is usually the relatable story line I like to read about.

The book is divided into 3 parts, all of which made my feelings go up and down an emotional roller coaster.

Prologue 
This section was actually what got me hooked to continue reading the book. It was a brilliant introduction to both the characters of Q and Margo, and the friendship they shared together. This was a fun cute friendship, until what they both saw.

Part 1 - The Strings
I actually found this part of the novel to be my favourite. The scene with Margo taking Q out on her 11 Phase plan was both suspenseful and fun!  The adventure they both endure made it really easy to read through this part quickly. This part was also interesting as it shows how far Q is willing to go out of his comfort zone to notably try to impress Margo, but also the chance for him to spend time with his out-of-touch long dear friend.

The entire part between the two actually reminded me of a young self. A young self who was involve with the idea of "being in love" with my childhood friend. And growing up, I to went out of my comfort zone a few times in order to try to impress him. So, I understood why Q was doing this for her.

Part 2 - The Grass
To me, this part was a bit slow, but still interesting. It was interesting because of Q's friend, Ben and Roger, who I actually found to be enjoyable characters. One part I didn't like was the repeated emphasis of their excitement for prom, and I would it irritating that Q was a bit too obsessed with finding Margo. The poem he kept reading just frustrated me. IF I actually knew the poem, I probably would have had a better idea of what the heck each poem part was about.. but, it's not like I completely disliked this section.

In fact, I loved the clues and how each clue was properly planned to the next for Q to find. I find her to be an interesting character, although she was not physically in this part of the novel.

Part 3 - The Vessel 
I don't want to spoil the ending so, I'll say one quick thing about what I liked about this third part.

This part was great. I loved the set up John Green did for the last road trip to find Margo. It was fun, and exciting. In fact, I found myself laughing a few times during their car rides; especially conversations with Ben!

Favourite Quotes:

  • "As long as we don't die, this is gonna be one hell of a story.
  • "It is so hard to leave - until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world."
  • "because not following her is the hardest thing I've ever done."

My Rating:  4.5/5 
Overall, I found myself loving this book! And, I was a bit sad when it was over.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you enjoy the novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts as well!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I love John Green! I think my favorite book of his is probably An Abundance of Katherines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really? I actually just finished The Fault in Our Stars, so I am really liking John Green! I'm about to start An Abundance of Katherines!

    ReplyDelete