12 September 2014

Least of These

background image via
Today's post reading: Matthew 25:1-46 (ESV)

Today is the 5th day of the 16 day plan in my journey of reading, reflection and responding to what the bible says about love. If you'd like to follow alone, join HERE and perhaps start your own journey! Ready to go on this journey with me? Well then, let's get started!

Driving down the highway and getting off the exit, I'm sure you've had your fair share of seeing those who ask stand in front of the stop lights holding up a sign that says something along the lines of, "I'm homeless, no work. Please help. God Bless." There are days where I do not hesitate to give money to those who ask; but then there are days, especially when I'm with my parents, I don't.

Why? Well... sometimes my parents can be right. How do I really know they don't have a job? How do I really know that they are homeless? Or a question I'm sure everyone asks... What do they really do with the money we give them? Is it for more drugs? Alcohol? Or for paying their rent. It is an honest question, which is why I tend to also not give spare change.

This goes the same way when I see those sitting on the sides of the streets when I am walking downtown. Many holding signs with an empty cup, many just sleeping in blankets on the side of the road, or those who play music for extra cash. What is it about them that makes my heart break? I can truly say that I have shared my spare change with those who definitely needed it more than me. But, is it bad that I feel like I selectively choose? I think its bad actually...
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me,  I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. ' - Matthew 25:35-36 (ESV)
Sometimes, it is easy to forget what we are blessed to have in our lives. Fortunately, there was never a time I experienced that starving feeling, or had no where to sleep or even felt like I had to ask others for money and steal just to survive another day. But, thinking about the lives of those I see on a daily basis... I'm sure that they had this luxury once upon a time. And, it changed in an instant; or even as a slow process.

It is easy to take for granted for what we have; and it also easy to forget to thank others - especially the Lord. We always need to be thankful for what we have, and that is through the act of showing love towards others who need it.... how? Sharing. Sharing what we have will go along way as one day when you need help, the Lord will provide you with abundance of joy and care.

No comments:

Post a Comment