19 September 2014

Turn the Tables

background image via
Today's post reading: Luke 6:1-49 (ESV)

Today is the 6th day of the 16 day plan in my journey of reading, reflection and responding to what the bible says about love. If you'd like to follow alone, join HERE and perhaps start your own journey! Ready to go on this journey with me? Well then, let's get started!

I'll admit anytime as I am not ashamed of this - I am someone who constantly puts others before me. Why? Well, no I am actually not a push over (anymore), I've learnt what my limits are, and I've learned right from wrong. But is more about me being okay with this attribute because I know how hard it is to find someone good now a days.  I'm not talking about people who are the true definition of good; I'm talking about having a good heart.

We all have that one friend who is just selfish and malicious. Everything has to be done their way, or else you have to face the wrath of their self-pity party or even the social exclusion from them. These, are the type of people I do not ever want to surround myself with, ever again. Why? Because they bring the worst out of us... you know that saying, "You are who your friends are". If I am secretly disliking someone who treats me so badly, what will others see me when I stand behind this so-called friend when they are hurting others?

So instead of being that person is peoples lives, I choose to be the good friend. The friend who will talk to you until 2am because you and your boyfriend got into a fight, the friend who will never drink at a party because I know you will, the friend who will always want the best for you, and the friend who will want to push you to do your best. This is exactly who I am attaining to be everyday, to be a good influence for not only my friends, but for my sister. Now that she is living away, it is of course hard to give her advice when I don't see what she is doing, but the great thing about sisters is that we always talk.

So, let me guess what your thinking. "okay, we get it Vanessa, you're a good friend to your family and your friends. That's easy." And, your right. It is extremely easy to love and care for those who has been apart of you since forever. But, it is easier said than done when it comes to those who've hurt you in the past.
"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and you reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Luke 6: 35
I've said it already, why would you want to surround yourself around those who bring the worst out of you? I know I don't. Some characteristics people display is truly ugly, and I honestly want no part of it. So why does god as us to stay away from our enemies? He doesn't necessarily want us to ignore them, thats for sure. But, in modern terms, "be the bigger person".

Everything we do has a consequence, whether it is a good consequence, or even a bad one. But, there is always something that comes out of our actions. If we retaliate against out enemies, of course their reaction is to do the same thing. This is what creates "fights" between friends who decide to just "get back at each other" instead of working things out. Speaking from personal experience, the fight will continue on and on that you eventually forget why you guys were fighting in the first place...

What He is saying here in the quote is an honest test to see what we do with the abundance of love He has given to us. Are we sharing it with specific people, and sharing none with others? Or are we sharing it with everyone? Just as everything has a consequence, good choices do to. And sharing our love with others will always return back to you in one shape or another. Whether it is through the simple act of someone holding the door for you when you're carrying heavy textbooks, or someone helping you carry your stroller down the escalator, or someone physically taking care of you in the hospital bed, love is one of the most powerful feelings that truly makes us all feel better about ourselves. Love from others is a true testament of the kind of character you are, and how God's love is affecting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment