24 December 2014

Recap: 700 Mess Dinner


On Saturday, December 20th, 700 David Hornell V.C. Squadron had their annual mess dinner. If you have no idea about what I am talking about, click HERE to see last years post! If you're feeling too lazy to take a quick look at the short post, I'll just give a brief summary now. The annual mess dinner is one of the most important traditional in the Canadian Forces, and because Air Cadets is somewhat following the same path of the forces (not entirely), of course the air cadet program loves to follow this tradition.

Personally, its one of my favourite traditions, but this year I think it was a little bit different from my point of view. I think it is because I've been out of the program for 1 year now, and all my friends and I already aged out (when you turn 19, you are no longer can be apart of the youth program.. if you want you can return as an officer, or even join the forces). Anyways, there were so many new cadets in the program I've never seen before, and I think it was just amazing they knew who I was.

Because I retired from the program a year ago, this year I was invited as a guest to participate in the tradition. Like last year, my sister sat at the head table with the other officers and guest of honour. I sat in the front with other cadets, with other returning retired guests scattered around.

During dinner, everyone is required to follow proper table etiquettes, like no elbows on the table. This is where the fun part comes in, when someone doesn't follow proper table etiquettes, someone can basically tell the Vice PMC who would tell the PMC, and they can make a punishment. And no, a punishment is not something to be scared of, its something fun - like singing "Barbie Girl" in front of everyone. Its suppose to be fun!

And I can honestly say that this year, the creativity level was higher than ever! Like, I was really impressed with the different fun consequences that was thought up of this year. Some of my favourite was the two cadets who had to reenact the ship scene from Titanic! HAHA it was just too funny. 
It was a great night, and some of the food was great! Here are some pictures you can enjoy, curtsy of the 700 Facebook Page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment